We, the signatories on this declaration, are committed to act to reduce food waste in Israel
We declare our commitment to acting for the good in prevention and reduction of food waste within the realm of our influence. We call upon all bodies involved in the food chain, from the field to the plate, to take action. We see food waste reduction as a significant way to fostering the State of Israel’s resilience, and contributing to the welfare of its people from the individual to the national level. This will contribute to strengthening weakened populations, decreasing the cost of living, preserving natural resources, protecting the climate and raising awareness of the value of food and its importance. We take responsibility for our activities and call on other organizations to join the process.
Moreover, we call the decision makers in the government to adopt strategic policies in the field of food and take steps to reduce food waste.
About the Convention
The Israeli Convention for Food Waste Reduction
- Measuring and monitoring the use of food in the organization and the amounts of waste
- Identifying opportunities to reduce the amounts of wasted food
Assimilation of solutions for food waste, including setting goals and distributing them
- Taking action by the organization to reduce food waste in the realm of its activities
- Cultivating appreciation for food in the organization while raising awareness of employees and providing knowledge about ways to decrease food waste at home and at work
- Encouraging initiatives of employees and other stakeholders to reduce food waste within the organization’s spheres of operation and influence
Assimilation in relations with other organizations in the value chain
- Setting standards for suppliers which encourage reduction of food waste throughout the value chain
- Preference for suppliers who act to reduce food waste
Transparency, participation and distribution
- Behaving transparently regarding activities of the organization in the realm of food waste
- Informing stakeholders as to their ability to reduce food waste in aspects relevant to the organization’s activities
- Sharing insights and successful methodologies in order to assist others in assimilating a similar change and, to the extent possible, including quantitative data.
- Initiating activities to raise awareness within different circles in Israeli society.
Alongside our activities we call upon decision makers in the Israeli Government to adopt a broad policy to reduce food waste as a part of national resilience, reducing the cost of living and protecting natural resources, and within its framework:
- Establishing a national target for food waste reduction
- Requiring state institutions and public institutions to measure and report the loss and waste of food through a unified methodology.
- Following-up and publication of data on the progress towards achieving the target
- Encouraging efficiency and assimilating innovation in the field within the public institutions, the local municipalities, government and private companies through grants, competitions, incentives and other measures
- Removing obstructions to the organization which are interested in becoming more efficient and in reducing food waste
- Adopting the EPA’s Food Recovery Hierarchy as a scale of preference for food waste strategy in Israel.